East Mersea village is a scattered settlement with a population of around 280 which
remains relatively stable.
In Norman times both East and West Mersea churches were built under their direction.
Records of East Mersea in the Domesday Book mention agriculture, sheep, swine and
Mersea has a great length of sea wall, about ten miles in all, believed to have been
constructed in Norman or Saxon times by landowners and this has been regularly strengthened
East Mersea Parish Church is dedicated to St Edmund, Martyr of East Anglia. The
turret, once carried a beacon basket, lit to warn inland towns of the enemy’s approach.
With the adjacent East Mersea Hall, the church was part of a five acre site, enclosed
by a moat forming a stronghold against enemy invasion. A cannon ball found in the
moat is now an exhibit in Mersea Museum.
Famous residents who lived there include Reverend Baring Gould , rector of East Mersea
who wrote well known hymns and novels and Dr Harnack one of the first workers with
The Golf House East
Rosettahosting Oyster Feast Packing Shed Island 1913
Mersea and Tollesbury
Dog & Pheasant
Old Rectory East Mersea 1920s
Maps and Guides
East Mersea Church circa
Waiting for the Ferry from Brightlingsea East Mersea